Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Feb 22nd Daily

Do you think Alexander honestly felt like he was avenging Persian wrongs? Or was that just propaganda to mask his goal of conquest?


I honestly feel like Alexander meant to land himself into Troy when he began his conquest to take over the Persian Empire. I think that his mindset was to show the Persian leaders that he was here to fight just like the Greek empire did against them thousands of years before ending with a large victory on the Greek side and complete destruction of the city of Troy on the other side. I think that he was determined to claim back what land was rightfully theirs and also take some more land during his conquest. Since the Persian had defeated the Greek army in the Persian War years before this, I think that Alexander purposefully came into Persia into an area where Greek took over and destroyed to show that their attack is not a joke, and they are here to win back land and restore the honor, confidence, and land that was taken from them in the previous wars. I honestly think that Alexander was seeking avenge towards the Persian people for taking over their land before, but I also think that Alexander was trying to be a good leader and try to expand his empire, and Persia just so happened to be the empire right next to them. To answer this question before me, I think that he was thinking of both when he planned the attack. He had a mission to become the largest empire of that time and maybe even ever, and in order to reach that goal, he had to take over the Persian empire. These are the facts, but I am sure Alexander decided to take over them first to show them that they can come back from total loss and defeat and end up with total power and wealth. Revenge is sweet, and I am sure that Alexander felt the same way. 

3 comments:

  1. i agree. You used good examples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Alexander was trying to make a legend out of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. But it could also go both ways. I do believe that Alexander was avenging Persian wrongs but I also do believe that he was trying to make a name for himself. Good job on your daily.

    ReplyDelete